Going to Grad School: A Dream Decision (Part Two)

I had to take a test.

Writing this memory in the middle of a pandemic makes me remember fondly how easy "hard" things were to get accomplished not that long ago.

As part of the application materials to get accepted into Graduate School, I was required to take the Graduate Record Examination or GRE. I mentioned in my last post that it had been decades since my last standardized test, and I was quite nervous about it. Nonetheless, online I went to select a testing center and an available date. The closest available option was about 120 miles away and three weeks or so away. I put in my information, entered my credit card number, and my adventure was set.

Now, how to prepare?? A quick Google search revealed any number of study guides and aids, but I opted for the free download from the GRE site itself and worked carefully through the examples. Very quickly, I proved to myself that I had forgotten quite a bit of information from my last academic adventure. Forge ahead I did though.

When the day arrived, we all set off for the big city, as the family planned to drop me off and then go shopping while I suffered. We reached the campus where the testing center was located and eventually located the correct building. I am sure a door to the center probably existed closer to a more convenient parking lot, but we did not do that. Many left and right turns down quiet corridors later, I arrived.

I was greeted by the proctor who collected my information and then led me to a camera filled testing spot and explained the rules of what I could and could not do during the course of the examination. I could bring nothing in with me, and any suspicious activity would result in disqualification. No pressure. He explained that he would be outside the "room" watching on the monitors, and I could ask for a bathroom break if necessary. (anxiety bladder anyone?)

When you take the GRE, you sign off agreeing to not discuss the contents of the test, so I will not do that here. But, I will tell you the hours in the exam are pretty much a blur anyway. I could not tell you what the content of any question was to save my life. The writing part was first, and the topic was provided, and I had 30 minutes to write. Anything and everything I knew about the topic. Once the writing part was completed, the familiar question-and-answer type questions pummeled my existence for the remainder of the testing time.

Eventually I got to the point where I thought, "you know, I am 44 years old, and I don't really give a darn what I get on the test anymore." I am generally a perfectionist (INTJ-T, Type-A), but I said enough. Every question had AN answer, so I submitted. Weeks later, I received my official scores reflected in the picture below. 

 After being out of school "forever", I still beat at least half of all the test takers. My writing, in particular, was a shock at 82nd percentile. It appeared that I had cleared the first hurdle in my adventure.

Up next... applying to Graduate School (you want what?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collision of Worlds

Dawn's approach (Poem)

The advent of snowy sidewalks